Monday 3 August 2015

Mental Health & Fitness!


Hello again everyone! 

Today I am here to share a different kind of fitness post with you, I decided that since it is the bank holiday I will return with my 'Fit and Fabulous Series Week 8' tomorrow. As some of you may know last week was Mental Health Awareness Week. During the week as I was doing my workouts it got me thinking about the link between mental health and fitness, and how you can drastically improve all aspects of your life by taking an active interest in your own fitness. I have always suffered with anxiety and would get very stressed and worried throughout school. I never knew how to deal with it and thought that I was the only one who suffered with it, everyone else seemed so confident, knew exactly who they were and what they wanted to do with their life's. 

It wasn't until I joined a gym when I was in transition year that I learnt my love for fitness and exercising. I played sports in school but was never good at them. This knocked my confidence even more but joining a gym all by myself really pushed me out of my comfort zone and really boosted my confidence. I learnt that I actually loved fitness and running I just needed to find what suited me. It really helped me with my anxiety and self-esteem. So I know first hand how mental health and fitness are linked. I am now both mentally and physically stronger than I have ever been before. So how does going to the gym effect your mental health?





1. Stress 

Stress relief is one of the most common benefits of working out. When you workout your body releases happy hormones known as endorphins. The release of these hormones in the body leads to feelings of happiness. I am always on a high when I come out of the gym. On the days I miss going to the gym or don't get a workout in I am the moodiest bee ever! You will find that while you are working out you forget about your problems.  You become completely absorbed and focused on what you are doing you totally forget about what's irritating you or bringing you down. The positive endorphins that are released during exercising improve your outlook for the rest of that day. An other benefit is the feeling of calm and control you have when you are done. 

2. Self-esteem and confidence 

After finishing a really tough workout you feel so good about yourself and feel a real sense of accomplishment. Whether your goal is to lose weight, gain weight, tone up, work on that booty or get those abs you want the gym is the perfect place to do this. After that workout you have taken an other step closer to reaching your goals, this makes you feel really good about yourself and is a knock on effect to boosting your self-confidence. 




3. Dealing with tough times

We've all gone through bad situations, whether it be loss of a loved one, being in a job you absolutely hate or a bad time in life. At some point of our lives we will be faced with both mental and emotional challenges that exercise will help us get through. There is nothing better than going to the gym, doing a class or going for a run and sticking you headphones in and escaping from the world for an hour. You will have a clearer vision or life, a better sense of clarity and you will feel so much better too. 

4. Improving your beauty sleep

Once you have clarity and peace of mind your sleep patterns will start to improve. Working out a few hours before bedtime raises the body's core temperature. A few hours after working out the bodies core temperature drops back to normal and signals the body that it is time to sleep.
5. Enjoy yourself

Don't take yourself to seriously or set up a strict routine. Find workouts or classes that you enjoy. Don't be to hard on yourself. Eat as healthy as you possible can but if you feel like a cheat meal have it or make a healthy alternative and get back on it the next day. Do what makes you happy life is to short to be worrying or obsessing over the little things. Do the best you can do what works best for you! 

I really hope you enjoyed this post and it is some help to people. Everyone goes through hard times and stresses from time to time. What people need to know is that they are never alone. Everyone is fighting a battle, no ones life is perfect not matter what you see on the outside! Be kind always! 


Yours Stylishly 

Kerrie Anne x 

Bella and Vogue 

  
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Bella and Vogue . All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig